Cook & Prep Time: 1 hour
A more nutritious take on the traditional chicken goujons made with almonds to give them that extra bit of crunch.
- 4 chicken breast, sliced length ways
- 2 eggs, scrambled
- 75 - 100g cream flour
- 200g breadcrumbs
- 200g almonds
- 4 tsp garlic powder
- 4 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 4 tsp Cajun seasoning, optional
- Salt & Pepper
Honey Mustard Dressing:
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp Greek yoghurt
- 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp siracha
- 1 tsp Greek yoghurt
Preheat the oven to 200C fan and line a tray with baking parchment.
- First prepare the breadcrumb mix. Pulse the almonds. Don’t turn the almonds to a fine crumb. You want the crumb to have a lot of body to it because this is what will give them the extra crunch when you bite into them, keep them nice and chunky. Mix the bread and almond crumb together and season with salt. Pour this mixture onto a plate.
- Next prepare the flour mixture. Pop the flour into a bowl and follow with the garlic powder, paprika, chilli powder, Cajun seasoning and some salt and pepper. Mix well and then pour onto a plate.
- Crack the two eggs into a bowl and whisk.
- Next create a system for yourself. Put the plate containing flour as station one, the bowl containing egg as station two and finally the plate containing the almonds and breadcrumbs as station three. Pop the tray down after station three with the parchment paper to make it easier for yourself.
- Once you have the chicken cut up into strips take one at a time and cover it with flour, this hand will be your dry hand. Make sure you coat it well. Pop the flour covered chicken strip into the egg wash and use your other hand cover it over with the egg. Using the same wet hand transfer it over to the breadcrumb plate and use your dry hand to cover it over. Pop it onto the tray with parchment paper and continue to do this cycle until all the chicken is covered. By keeping your hands separate like this you will see that the mixture wont actually stick to your hands so it will make it easier and quicker for yourself.
- Place the strips into the oven for 25 minutes until golden brown. Serve with honey mustard dressing or sriracha mayo.